Thursday, April 14, 2011

A Look Back

Coming into this class, I was not very excited about having to take a literature class.  I really do not enjoy reading unless it is a book I stumble across that looks enjoyable (namely John Grisham books).  However, this class was nothing like I had expected it to be.  The class discussions were really fun to have, and it was interesting to hear everyones take or side from each reading we were assigned.  There was one smaller reading that really kind of annoyed me and sort of angered me too.

The one article that called us the dumbest generation actually kind of got under my skin.  The author has no idea what our generation knows considering we are just now getting into the workforce.  Having all this information literally in the palm of our hand with cell phones we can always find out something.  Information does fall right into our lap with laptops, and this does not make us lazy in my mind, it makes us efficient.  Why spend hours upon hours looking through encyclopedias when all the information or answers we need is only a mouse click away.  How does not knowing classical music, old art painting makes us dumb?  That stuff has no relevance in our life.  We don't read as many novels either, who cares that stuff is fictional, when i read articles on yahoo, espn, penn live which are actually taking place and have some kind of impact on my life.

In my own personal opinion this does not make us lazy or stupid, its just our way of life.  The author does not understand that because he grew up in another time period from us.  We will probably thing the generation below us is dumber then us since we are not accustomed to their style of living.  This will go on forever, but attacking the generation and calling us the dumbest generation ever is actually very offensive.  All I would have to say to him is I'm about to get my college degree, the same thing he got back in his "genius generation."


To close it out I would like to say thanks to everyone for making this a fun class, and to my group you guys made it fun to come to class and enjoyed how we could joke around and yet still get all our work done and have great discussions.  Good luck in the future to all of you!

2 comments:

  1. I was not very excited either about having to take a literature class but I ended up loving the class! I agree with you, "the dumbest generation" article made me angry too, but when I think about it its just the cycle of life because we are saying the generation below us is the dumbest. It's just a cycle that will never end! I also loved our group, we had good discussion and it was fun! Graduation here we come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that we will probably think the generation below us is the "dumbest" and it will continue forever I'm sure. You're so lucky your graduating, good luck !

    ReplyDelete