Friday, April 1, 2011

Hunger Games

In Hunger Games my response kind of varied throughout the book.  At first it was kind of like the lottery in like why would a civilization have something like this in place.  Sure I understand that it is supposed to keep the districts in line and keeping the civilians from rising up and rebelling.  However, as the book went along the more I could see the connection to modern day reality TV.  How the tributes acted different in front of the camera and how the viewers watched it and got attached to certain tributes.  They played up the romantic situation between Katniss and Peeta makes me think about either Teen Mom, 16 and Pregnant, Ronnie and Sammie in the Jersey Shore.  Finally, it was very similar to Survivor (minus the killing) since they teamed up with other tributes to try to keep themselves alive and use the skills and resources to succeed in the Hunger Games.

I kind of connected with Peeta, because deep down inside he was not a killer at all.  He even stated that he wanted to die like himself, which proves to me he would not be a good reality TV star.  I myself do not think I would be either since I do not change just when a camera is in front of me.  He was also kind of smart on how he picked the tributes to team up with, and was smart to confess his love for Katniss.  Overall, he has a very high like ability factors, which makes me think of why I connected with him the most in the book.


This song by Sugarland called Take Me as I am is kind of like the love affair going on between Peeta and Katniss.  He said before the Hunger Games that he liked Katniss ("If you want it come get it").  Finally, the line "Take Me As I Am" is like saying I am who I am and I am not changing for the camera of reality TV. 

4 comments:

  1. It is interesting how the book connects to modern day reality tv. Peeta was a very interesting character and you are right he would not make a good reality tv star because he just wants to be himself and so much reality tv is about being fake in order to get attention. I liked the connection you made to that song. It does seem like a good fit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book was a lot like reality TV. It's interesting to make the connection between Peeta and Katniss to those on TV today, like Ronnie and Sammi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting connection to Survivor. I was actually thinking that throughout with alliances and everything. I liked the connection you made with the song. It seems like a really good representation of their relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whenever the second half of the book started I thought for sure she was going to kill Peeta first. He was definitely not the weakest one in the games but taking him out first would eliminate any mind games that he would try to play. With him gone katniss could more easily focus on all the other players.

    ReplyDelete